Save time and money

Get a cheaper quote from top insurers

What is home insurance?

Home insurance provides cover for the structure of your home, its contents, or a combination of both.

So, in the event of fire, theft, or extreme weather conditions such as flooding, buildings insurance would cover damage to the structure of your home, while contents insurance would cover damaged things in your home or garden.

Home insurance provides financial protection in the event of something happening to your property and/or belongings.

Depending on your policy you might be covered for theft, fire, flood, loss, accidental damage, and more.

What types of home insurance are there and what do they cover?

Buildings Insurance

This covers you in the event of damage to the structure of your home, such as walls, windows, roof, and floors. It usually covers damage to fixtures and fittings too like bathroom suites. It’s not compulsory, but it’s usually a condition of your mortgage to have it.

If you own your home, with or without a mortgage, this insurance should be a top priority.

Contents Insurance

This covers you for loss or damage to personal possessions – including things like furniture, TVs, home office equipment, or items in the garden – in the event of fire, theft, flooding, and similar incidents. It covers all your personal belongings against the cost of loss or damage.

Unlike buildings insurance, this is optional. But insuring your possessions is generally a sensible idea for both tenants and homeowners.

Why choose Cheaper Insurance Direct


Friendly UK based call centre with no long wait times


Honest upfront advice


In business over 20 years and FCA authorised


Able to speak to the same customer adviser


Cover to suit customers’ needs

Optional covers available

Home Emergency

This covers sudden and urgent issues with the services that supply your home – gas, electricity, and water. It will cover issues like blocked drains, boiler breakdown, burst pipes, or electrical failures. Home emergency can pay for the cost of call-out fees and repairs but won’t cover the cost of repairing damages caused by the emergency.

Accidental Damage

Accidental Damage helps cover the cost of repairing or replacing an item that’s been damaged or destroyed by an accident at home.

Personal Possessions Cover

This is cover for your items when you take them outside your home. This is useful for helping protect your jewellery, phone, and other valuable belongings you keep with you when you are on the move.

Legal Cover

Access to expert lawyers with up to £50,000 of legal costs cover for you and your family. Events covered include employment tribunals, tax investigations, damages for personal injury, jury cover and more.

The 5 Things we need to give you a Quote

Personal Information

Personal details like your name, date of birth, phone number, occupation.

Your Postcode

This is so we can find the address of the property you would like to insure.

Extra Cover

This includes optional extras such as accidental damage, home emergency, legal cover etc.

About your Property

This is things like, the kind of property, (e.g. semi-detached house, terraced house) year it was built, number of bedrooms, whether mortgaged or rented?

Details about yourself and the history of your home

Things like, whether you’re a first-time buyer, whether your property has ever been damaged by flood or subsidence and whether any claims for loss or damage have been made in the last 5 years.

We’ve got your insurance needs covered